January 13, 2012

Two Tex Mex recipes!

When I'm in the mood for Tex Mex flavor, I want it fresh and I want it now! Once you make read over these 2 recipes, make them and taste for yourself- you'll never go back to the stuff from a jar again!

This is so fresh and tasty you'll want to put it on nearly everything from your tacos, to grilled chicken, fish and even your eggs!

First and foremost wash all produce in warm soapy water or use a product such as veggie wash to get waxes and unseen ickies that can cause you or your family members to get sick. Remember- germs and bacteria are everywhere!

Use either Beef Steak or Hot House tomatoes for these recipes. Remove the seeds. I use these kind because of the juice and flavor factor. I use Roma Tomatoes in all things Italian.

And please oh please practice Pepper Safety! Be caredul handeling fresh peppers because chili peppers have oils in thier skin that can cause you some major discomfort if it comes into contact with your nose eyes or mouth! So please always wear some sort of rubber or plastic gloves when handling them! Also wash all items that come into contact with said chili peppers in HOT soapy water to remove all trace of the oils! And always wash your hands after taking off those gloves, it never hurts to be safe!

Please check out Miss Vicki.com for a guide to peppers with pictures!

Pico De Gallo

This is how I make mine...


3 large Hot House tomatoes diced
3 Fresno Peppers (seeded and diced)
1 medium Red Onion
Fresh Cilantro to taste (I like a lot of cilantro so I used a lot)
Lime juice- about half a lime depending upon how big your lime is
¼ to a ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt

Mix together, let sit for an hour or more to get the onions to lose thier bite and the tomatoes to absorb the other flavors.

Now this can be as spicy as you want it. The peppers I used are at the medium (a #5) spice level. You can use Jalapenos if you like yours with more heat, or like it nuclear hot? Use a hotter chili pepper such as a Habanero-OUCH! That hurts my tongue and my tummy just reading it!

Salsa- Sandie Style

Again, I can't stress this enough...Use the freshest ingredients available to you! 

4 Large Hot House Tomatoes

1 medium to large onion (I like to use red onions because of their sweeter flavor)

1 small to medium Bell Pepper (I use any color but green because the green ones taste like grass to me- silly but true)

1 clove minced garlic (now here is where I use my roasted garlic because it doesn't have that harsh raw garlic taste and here's an extra bit of trivia roasted garlic doesn't produce gas in your body like raw garlic does).

3 chili peppers- your choice depending upon how hot you like it! Use Miss Vickies Pepper Guide to help you make your choice. Me, I used those Fresno chilis and it came out just fine!

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

Juice of 1 Lime

Cilantro- I used half a bunch- it was yummy!

You can also expand this by adding other goodies such as:
 frozen corn (about a cup)
 1 can of Black Beans (thoroughly rinsed)
Pineapple, Mango, Raspberries , Grapes, etc.



Just think about all of the different kinds of salsa out there on the grocery store and gourmet food store shelves and remember that you can make it at home without all of the preservatives, additives and you know it's fresh and good for you!

No comments: