January 13, 2012

What country did that garlic come from?

I'm always on the look out to make the food I serve my family and friends from freshest ingredients  I can find. Lately I have to say that I am quite disturbed by what I have found in my local grocery store. The more I learn about how much of our nations food is outsourced to foreign countries astounds me. 

While living in England I accepted that the fruits and vegetables available in the local grocery stores were imported on a more Global scale than I had ever experiences before. BUT and this is a huge but- in England it was clearly labeled where your food came from, almost to the point of having large heavy print showing you that your produce came from  places such as Germany, South Africa, Egypt or Belize. While living in England I got to witness first hand the heavily advertised nation wide campaign to buy British meats and produce. The first thing I thought to myself was "Wow, America should do this with thier meat, fish and produce". I tell ya, I followed this campaigns advice and only bought Grown in the UK food stuffs and I bought from local butchers and farmers markets whenever I could.  Now you're wondering..."Where exactly are you doing with this Sandie?" Okay I'll tell ya...

Yesterday I'm in my local grocery store and I'm picking up fresh fruit and veggies for the salsa and chicken pie that I was going to make (made them both and they were sooo good- recipes to come later).  Once I got started looking at labels and country of origin I found that I could not stop. I had heard on the news that all canned mushrooms are now imported from Thailand- I checked that out for myself and OH MY GOSH it's true! Not that I could or would use canned mushrooms in any recipe of mine BUT I don't want to eat stuff that's grown someplace where there are little to no regulation on the kinds of chemicals and pesticides that are used in growing produce. I picked up a package of fresh Garlic- looked at the label and there it was in black and white "product in China". Garlic from China? Whatever happened to Garlic that's grown in Gilroy California? I have bought Gilroy grown Garlic for my entire life! I have also bought Washington State Apples,  Maine or Idaho Potatoes and California Almonds.  I want to know WHO is going to buy and cook with that garlic from China when there are so many recalls of every day items from China that are potentially hazardous? I also heard on the news that now all Limes are imported? Really? We can't grow Limes in this country? I don't believe it! Same goes for avocados, oranges, grapes, lemons. lettuce, tomatoes and so much more! 

Take a stand and say NO to food imported from China. We've done it with our clothes and goods for our homes why not with your/our food?

No comments: