February 10, 2012

Spicy Salsa Meatballs

I saw a recipe for "spicy meatballs" and then decided to kick it up a couple of notches. I wanted something different to serve at our house warming party but still keeping within the "Tex Mex" theme that my husband requested.

Ingredients you will need;
 for the Meat Balls...

1 1/2 to 2 lbs Ground Turkey
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt and course ground Black Pepper
2 Eggs
1 cup Bread Crumbs
1 TBS Freeze Dried Jalapenos

for the Sauce...
1 Jar of Thick and Chunky Salsa
1 jar of Cocktail Sauce
1/4 cup Jalapeno peppers I used the kind from a jar), I measured them w/o the liquid and then I chopped them and added them to the sauce- use less if you like it less spicy).
water

So here goes...
Mix the meat and all ingredients in a mixer, it should go rather quickly. I used Litehouse brand freeze dried Jalapenos. You can find them in your local grocers your produce section. Make meatballs no bigger than 1 inch in diameter only because if you make them any larger there's the very real issues of them not cooking thoroughly (I had experienced this while making these). Here's a tip; roll meatballs while your hands are damp- it helps to keep the met from sticking to your hands.
I fried my meatballs in 1 inch of canola oil, I rolled them around in the pot until they were golden brown. Drain them on paper towels. Put into oven to keep warm (oven temp 200).


Making the sauce- just dump everything into a pot, mix well with a wooden spoon. let it bubble and then turn it down to a simmer for 5 minutes.


Place meatballs in a covered casserole dish, pour sauce over meatballs just prior to serving.

No comments: