June 22, 2010

Chick Food Chicken Salad

THIS is the chicken salad recipe that I made for my girlfriends on our trip to Stoke-on-Trent. I call it's My Chick Food Chicken Salad because of the grapes and cashews. I find that men don't enjoy fruit in their salads...then my husband surprised me and told m,e how much he enjoyed it. Then he really surprised me with his request that I make this for other occasions.

Side note- I like to take short cuts where I can, especially when it comes to food preparation. It's even better when they save you time and money!

Things you need:
  • 2 Whole Roasted Chickens from the grocery store- meat plucked off the bone and shredded! Don't worry about the seasoning of said roasted chickens, it doesn't matter (sweet huh)
  • 2 cups seedless grapes- Black or Red, I personally prefer Black grapes because of their sweetness and firm texture but either one of these are fine. BEWARE-Green grapes are too tart for this recipe.
  • Cashews- chopped (this will be the topping for the salad)
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • ½ cup sour cream or creme fraiche
  • ¾ cup mayonnaise
Lets get cooking!
All of your cooking is done because you bought those lovely roasted chickens from the grocery store! Simply pluck the meat off of the chicken and shred! Slice grapes into halves or quarter them if they are large. Chop the celery but not too fine. Mix All 3 together in large bowl. Mix the lemon juice, sour cream and mayonnaise together, pour over chicken mixture in bowl and toss. I've not added any salt to this what so ever, if you feel that it needs some salt add only at the very end . I like to use the salted cashews as a sprinkled on topping, they add a great crunch factor and just the right amount of salt to this recipe. Serve it on croissants or on Bibb Leaf lettuce leaves (also called Boston or Butter Leaf lettuce). It's perfect for baby showers, bridal showers, church socials, coffees and luncheons.

2 comments:

SewBerry Patch said...

This is the best chicken salad I've ever had....simply delicious :)

Sandie said...

Thanks Carina! Making it goes so much faster with the store bought roasted chicken!