June 21, 2010

Scones

This is my tried and true recipe, I've been making scones from this recipe for about 16 years now. Got it from a girlfriend when we were stationed at Dyess AFB, Texas.

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1Tablespoon sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons butter (slightly softened-do not put in microwave)
  • 2 eggs well beaten
  • ½ heavy cream
  • ½ teaspoon salt (I used kosher salt for all of my baking)
  • ½ teaspoon Vanilla
Mix dry ingredients well, work in butter with a pastry knife. Add in wet ingredients making sure that eggs are well beaten before adding. Stir until well blended. Dust kneading area with flour, kneed on cold surface for one minute. Roll out to ¾ inch thick, cut into wedges or use round cookie cutter for a more neat appearance. Here I used a 2½ inch round cookie cutter.
Heat oven to 400ยบ, Bake on baking stone for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
Cooking times do vary in different ovens. I've moved several times over the years and every oven has it's little differences.

You can serve these fresh right out of the oven with butter (this is how my children like them) or the way they serve them here in England- cold with clotted cream and strawberry or raspberry jam. Either way they are a tasty treat!






No comments: