July 22, 2007

Coffee and Coffee Makers

Last week I had the funniest conversation with my mother in law about coffee and coffee pots. We talked about brands of coffee and how the ground stuff in a can has changed over the years. Sizes for one this...they keep putting less and less in the cans of coffee. I mentioned how I like to grind my own beans (coffee beans that is) from time to time. But I also grind them there at the grocery store/commissary. When we spoke of brands she didn't have a favorite one per say- just what ever was the least expensive in a can. Myself I prefer to buy and use Millstone, my flavor "Swiss Chocolate Almond". Another favorite (it's a seasonal flavor) is Pumpkin Spice- there's something about cinnamon and nutmeg and just a hint of pumpkin, m'm it's so yummy! Since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house I can pretty much make what ever flavor of coffee that what I want.

Our conversation turns to coffee pots, and this is where it gets funny. We both are saying the same thing...it costs more to replace a broken carafe than it does to replace the entire coffee making system. Why is that? I never really understood that concept. I've had a handful of coffee makers over the years and to be honest the best ones were the cheapest ones. The most expensive coffee maker that I ever bought was made by Cuisinart and it was also my biggest disappointment. I was going on reputation for Cuisinart being extremely reliable and have a sterling reputation for quality. Well apparently that didn't apply to their coffee makers- or at least to the 2 that I had, UGH! The first thing to go was the stop and pour system. then the lid to the coffee pot broke...all within 3 weeks of me owning the darn thing! So I take it back to the store and they give me another one...this one makes it a little longer (3 months) then it too does the exact same thing. I deal with the defective coffee pot for nearly a year. We moved here (Ellsworth AFB, SD) in the fall of 2003 and that's when I said "adios" to the coffee pot and I went out in search of a new one. Not being impressed by the last brand of coffee maker that I had owned, I look at discount stores like Wal-Mart, Target, ShopKo and K-Mart for something that will suit my needs. I found one at Target- it's by Phillips. I've had it almost 4 years now and it has by far out preformed that Cuisinart that I had owned while we lived in Virginia. Before that...I would get those free ones from Gevalia Coffee (you've seen the ads in magazines). Those free coffee pots are the best! They are awesome appliances, I know that my little 4 cup coffee pot was made by Krups and it was an awesome appliance!
My mother in laws story is pretty much the same, it would be one name brand appliance after another that would just crap out on her. Her biggest complaints being that 1- the heating element would burn out and 2- the price of replacing the carafe. She's buy a $35 coffee maker and have it cost her $25 for the new carafe. So one day after yet another carafe breaks she starts using her Pyrex measuring cup as a stand in replacement, LOL! Then of course the heating element gives out. My father in law who by the way is not ever in tune with his wife's needs actually does something nice for her...he's at the grocery store and there's this in store sales promotion on of all things...coffee makers and they were $4.99. My father in law remembering something about my m-i-l and her coffee maker issues buys one and brings it home to his wife. My m-i-l looks at this coffee maker and says what the heck lets give it a try. It's some no name off the wall brand...she now SWEARS BY THIS THING! She says that it brews the best pot of coffee, no more high priced name brand coffee makers for her, she too is going for what ever works.

No comments: