July 23, 2007

What are you eating this summer?

Summertime to me is one of those seasons when I love to make use of every fresh fruits and vegetable I can get my hands on. I prefer to use those that are grown locally but that isn't always possible. Some items such as bananas and pineapples have to be imported from far off places.

I want to encourage everyone to go out and buy themselves a new recipe book and make something from that book at least 3 nights a week for the remainder of the summer! I have some cookbooks that I got with my latest Calphalon pan purchase, the one I'm using right now is the "Food Network Kitchens Cookbook" and let me tell you that these recipes are to die for! Yesterday I made Lobster Rolls for lunch...all I have to say is YUM! I had to keep the kids from trying to take mine when I wasn't looking, LOL! Just picture me trying to guard my little sandwich with a wooden spoon and my kids giggling like fiend's trying to take it from me. Now of course when I make this recipe again I'll add more celery as I felt it needed a little more crunch, other than that it was perfect! As for the bread, I used buns that are for bratwurst- they've got a meatier bite to them and will not get soggy.

I need to make a trip into town to shop for specialty items such as chipotles in adobo sauce and some fancier types of cheeses as our commissary doesn't carry those kinds of items.

Enjoy your summertime vegetables and fruits and make something new and exciting for your friends and family this week!

No comments: