November 2, 2007

Baking pans and Cookie sheets

The October issue of Cooks Illustrated is wonderful! And the December issue is fantastic! I've been on the fence for quite a while about changing out my baking pans/cookie sheets (again). Have you ever heard that "twang" in you oven when you put a baking pan in with fish fillets or cookies on it? Well that's the pan...warping from the heat. I also get it when I pull it out of the oven and rest it on the cool stove top "twang" that's the heat leaving it I suppose. What ever it is, it bugs me to no end. I had switched over to using Wilton cookie sheets and jelly roll pans and I paid plenty for the Wilton name...those pans did the same thing as the cheapo pans from Wal-Mart and Target. Well I read the review in the December issue of Cooks Illustrated on baking pans...WOW! They review quite a few and lets just say I was surprised by it. The funny thing is...just a few hours earlier (that same day) I almost bought a heavy duty jelly roll pan from my local Kitchen Store- one for $22, YIKES! I hemmed and hawed on it and decided against it. Bought the magazine and said WOW, glad I didn't buy that pan. What I did so is to go to my local Sam's Club and check out what they had in their professional line...I was able to get a set of 2 heavy duty 15x20 jelly roll pans for a little over $10, for the set! I used my pans last night for the first time and am I ever happy with my purchase! No warping, no funky sounds coming from my oven from the pan twisting and turning in the heat. Everything cooked up evenly and to a crispy golden brown. Those Wilton pans of mine...off to the Thrift Shop they go!

No comments: