November 19, 2007

Holiday Cooking - Day 1

So here I am on my holiday cooking adventure. I'm breaking it down into what I can cook ahead so I will have more time to spend with my family and friends and NOT in my kitchen scrubbing pots and pans.

Day 1- make the cranberry chutney- done

Granted recipes are only a suggestion...and this one was just that-a suggestion. I added more sugar, more cinnamon and I added an extra ingredient-ginger. Talk about a wonderful condiment for "leftover turkey" sandwich! The cranberry compote is sweet and tangy...I want to share it with all of my friends! It is seriously YUMMY!!!!

So here is my version of a cranberry chutney of sorts...
2 cups granulated sugar
1 red onion minced
2 granny smith apples peeled and cored-shopped
2 pears (yes a pair of pears) peeled, cored and chopped
3 tsp cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
½ cup apple cinder vinegar
2 -12 ounce packages of fresh cranberries
2 TBS olive oil

heat large skillet, put in oil add minced onions saute for 3 minutes. Add orange juice, apple cider vinegar sugar and spices, cook for 3 minutes more. Add in chopped apple and pear cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the fruit breaks down and the sauce is thickened.

This should keep for about 5 days- but I doubt highly that there will be anything left after Thursday afternoon.

No comments: