January 22, 2008

Le Creuset vs Tramontina Cookware




I've been wanting a Le Creuset Dutch Oven for ages. I've always told myself that they were too expensive. I went along with the recommendation from Cooks Illustrated on purchasing a 6½ quart round Dutch oven by Tramontina (see the red one...I bought it back in November) and have used it several times and have been VERY happy with it's performance. The Tramontina Dutch oven was a huge savings over the Le Creuset Dutch oven. I paid $60 for the 6½ quart Tramontina Dutch oven versus the hefty price tag of $270.00 for the 5½ quart and $315.00 for the 7¼ quart Dutch Oven. I love this shade of blue (it's called Caribbean) and Le Creuset is running a special on their smaller soup pots. With our upcoming vacation to the Caribbean, I thought that this color was just what I needed to add something bright and cheerful to my kitchen. So I spent my Christmas money on a soup pot...that's okay, I like soup :-) The other thing to keep in mind is that Tramontina is made in China and Le Creuset is made in France. I know that many of us (yes even myself) are trying to avoid buying items that are made in China but sometimes that just can not be helped. When the savings is so dramatic, you really can't help but to buy the less expensive brand...especially when it comes so highly recommended by such a highly respected magazine such as Cooks Illustrated

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely disagree. Never compromise your principles. I just bought myelf a Le Creuset for Christmas. I could have gotten many things and a cheap Chinese pot, but Le Creuset has a lifetime warranty. The quality and design bring me joy. They are more durable with better enamel, thicker, and a tighter seal. BOYCOTT CHINA

Sandie said...

You know what...I'm in total agreement here! I ended up paying the big bucks for the larger sized Le Creuset pot and haven't touched that made in china pot since! I've since donated it to the women's shelter in town!

Unknown said...

Hi girls! I took my Tramontina cast iron back to Wally world!! I had purchased a great green color,which looked fab with a soup on the stove top and pretty good flavor..BUT, the lid did not fit well, and clean up almost impossible. AND,I bought it because the sign underneath said markdown $29..I had made too many purchases and had thought the total was too high..Here's what happened; Removed the outside cardboard which said MADE IN SUGAR LAND TEXAS. on the bottom of the pot clearly stamped was made in China...That ticked me off! Sugarland is all one word,so that should have clued me. ANY how when I decided to take it back,The receipt showed they charged me $59..I didn't have the receipt in hand and the refund w/o it was $39?? This was two days later...Well, I located the receipt and got the full refund. All that deception sent me to the outlet mall where I bought a beautiful yellow Le Creuset 5qt oval for $118...Reg price $198.99 NO ONE HAS MENTIONED LE CREUSET is guarenteed 99 years,No Matter what happens to it!!! so, I actually only paid a little over a dollar a year. Don't Compromise on what makes your life ,including your cooking BETTER!! Simpler, Easier...more convenient..
LOOKS LIKE WE AGREE..

Adriana said...

I just navigated here from a Tramontina USA site which says they have manufacturing in Wisconsin...my guess is that some lines or components are made in the US, but probably the cheaper Walmart line comes from China?

Jana said...

The Tramontina cookware, NOT the cast iron, is made in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, in the former Mirro cookware factory.