January 14, 2007

The funny things people say about cooking

I had a conversation with my mother in law the other day that really made me laugh. She told me that the only reason she cooks is because they (she and my father in law) have to eat. I got such a chuckle out of what she said and it has stuck with me.  I keep reflecting upon it and thinking to myself wondering how many other people that I know feel that very same way? I know that not everyone was meant to be nor wants to be a gourmet cook. Not everyone appreciates the efforts that are put into making a delicious meal. Others are perfectly content with a bowl of ramen noodles.  Take my younger sister for instance, that woman couldn’t cook a meal from scratch to save her soul from the devil (and I mean that in the nicest way). Unless it comes straight of a box my sister won’t have anything to do with it. Some people are just that way….they would rather be anywhere else than in the kitchen.

 

For me, The Kitchen is the Heart of the Home.  It’s a wonderful place where people gather around and chat while someone (usually myself) is preparing a meal. I love to enlist the help of willing participants to chop or stir something that’s bubbling away in a pot. But usually I just want company in the kitchen, friends and family to talk and laugh with. What I really like help with is in the cleaning up later on after we’ve all gobbled up a terrific meal.

 

 

 

No comments: