February 28, 2007

Hannah and her library books

Our daughter Hannah knows how much I enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. For the past month or so she has been checking out every cookbook available at her school and bringing them home for me to read. So have scary recipes with things we wouldn't ever dream of eating (trust me you don't want to know). Yesterday she brought a Russian cookbook...she's going to freak out with the herring in sour cream. Personally growing up with a mother that lived most of her life in a foreign country I am used to such things (not eating them per say but seeing my mom eat them). I eat chicken, fish, pork and on a rare occasion beef (but never ground beef). My parents eat all kinds of meats, stuff that I'd never let touch my lips again. I'm sorry but I can't wrap myself around the idea of eating Moose, Elk, Venison (Deer), Bear, Rabbit or anything else that's out there in the wilderness. Give me a domestically grown chicken and I'm happy!

So here I am with her latest cooks books...Thai and Russian and there are a handful of recipes I will write down and test drive on my family. Hannah will be looking at me funny with the recipe that calls for 2½ cups of mayonnaise. You see, here in this household mayonnaise is only used for one thing, it's the binding ingredient in a tuna sandwich, that's it!

Another thing we don't really eat in our home is hard boiled eggs. Lots of these recipes in the Russian cook book call for hard boiled eggs. Hannah and I make egg salad sandwiches from time to time, but just eating hard boiled eggs or incorporating them into a recipe or even eating deviled eggs...it's not something that we do here in our home. I never really thought of that until I pulled out my 2 egg plates last week when I was rearranging the placement of something in my china hutch. Maybe I'll make some when we have our house warming party...that way I can use my pretty Polish Pottery egg plate that my best bud sent me when she went on her pottery shopping trip.

I'm off to read more of the Russian cookbook...

No comments: